• Disneyana Fan Club Mini Convention at Crown Plaza Hotel, 01-15-11

Owing again to being insanely busy the past few weeks, I never had a chance to share my pictures from the Disneyana Fan Club mini event that I went to with smitty-78 a few weeks ago.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Disneyana Fan Club Mini Convention at Crown Plaza Hotel, 01-15-11 started by dlfreak View original post
    Comments 10 Comments

Sadly, again it's the same thing with this show. It's always the same group of people selling the same piles of stuff everytime. They just cart in the leftovers and unwanted items from their retail shops and online sales. I've been going down twice a year for three years now, and I've only found a handful of things I actually needed.
      Yeah I have gone for the past 3 years now and there is a lot of the same people bringing the same stuff but you do find stuff that you haven't seen before and it's just fun to see some of the vintage Disney memorabilia they have out there.
      It was my first time so it was a treat seeing all that stuff. I didn't have my photo camera with me so those pics are all taken with the camcorder so that's why they're blurry.

Still, it's kinda fun to be able to go down down the intersection of Memory Lane and Disney Avenue to see things that you remember from your childhood. I wasn't too enticed with a lot of of it although I did buy myself a D23 Expo ear hat and I was really tempted to buy the placemats you see above.

I can definitely see your guys' feelings towards it though, I can definitely see how it could feel like the same old tired garage sale. Still, I think I will be going to the big one in July. Once a year sounds about right.

Oh yeah I am still going to the big one in July, because hey you never know what might be there and also it's always fun to see what's there...glad you went dlfreak!
      I suppose I have never found anything much because my field of Disneyana collecting is just too narrow and specific. My collection includes things like this:

Not really something likely to show up, but it's always worth a try.

But I do admit it is great fun seeing all the members of the Disney community!
      Those are great Sosai very hard to find I am sure or very pricey.
      Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!
      Are those opening day pins or something? I'm not much of a Disney collector.
      Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak View Post
      Are those opening day pins or something? I'm not much of a Disney collector.
      Yes, they are original Disneyland badges. From 1955 to 1962, Disneyland cast members wore these metal badges instead of the plastic nametags we know today. The badge on the left is in an unfinished state, before it was gold-plated and had an employee number attached. The badge on the right was worn by the Disneyland Maintenance Department supervisor. They have not been used in 50 years, and very few have survived. I personally know of only 15, including these two, but there are bound to be more out there.
      We usually go to both of the Disneyana sales (Jan & July) but as others have said, after going for so many years I am just not finding anything I really want or am willing to spend the money on. I'm mainly a book collector and quite honestly, most of the stuff I've ever found interesting/desireable could be found much cheaper on Ebay.

And don't get me started on some of the interesting smells in those rooms...some people really need to take a shower once in awhile.
  • Recent Articles