• OPENING NIGHT: Peter Pan at the El Capitan! February

Now through February 15, you can enjoy the limited engagement of Peter Pan at the El Capitan Theatre. The opening night this past Thursday included a wonderful panel discussion with several key players in the creation of the film including voice actors, reference models, a Disney animator, plus surprise guest Richard Sherman. The evening also included a performance by the group T-Squad and a lovely pre-show featuring a live Tinkerbell!

Click here to enlarge this image.

Here is a shot of the marquee for Peter Pan which ends its limited engagement at the El Capitan on February 15.

The box office advertises Peter Pan plus the next two overlapping films: Bridge to Terrabithia (February 16 - March 25) and Wild Hogs (March 2 - 25).

The fabulous Rob Richards on the organ before the show.

Don Hahn was the panel leader for the evening. Hahn, as you may know, was the Producer of many beloved Disney animated films including Hunchback, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. He is also an Academy Award nominee with the 2006 animated short "The Little Match Girl." Don began the evening by introducing a 1951 clip of the "The Walt Disney Christmas Show." This was the second TV show that Walt ever did and the first that highlighted an upcoming movie; the early origins of broadcast Disney synergy!

Video Clip 1: Walt Disney Christmas Special (1951).
    RealPlayer - 2 minutes, 08 seconds.
    Download: High Bandwidth (6.90 megs)

Don (far right) proceeded to introduce everyone on the panel. From left to right: Eric Goldberg, Margaret Kerry, Paul Collins, June Foray, and Kathryn Beaumont. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of most of the pictures during the panel. I was not aware at the time that the setting on the camera was not sufficient for the amount of light on stage.

Kathryn was asked how she became involved with Disney. She said that she started out with MGM and got a call one day. Walt Disney was having auditions for Alice in Wonderland. She met Walt for the first time when she showed up for the audition. She got a call a few days later, asking her to join the project. She had to end her contract with MGM but proceeded to sign with the Disney Studios. To this day, Kathryn remains impressed that, even as a young teenager, she was quite often involved in the creative process of the Alice and Wendy characters and their stories.

Kathryn has frequently reprised the role of Alice and Wendy for various Disney uses including the House of Mouse television program, the Kingdom Hearts video game, and Disneyland attractions.

Don then asked Paul about his experience working on Peter Pan. Paul provided the voice for John Darling. He explained that he was new to the voice-over process and that it was quite a challenge acting out the scenes physically. Regardless, he remembered that there was a wonderful feeling of community all throughout the project.

June listens intently as Paul talks about working as a young teenager. Relishing the moment, Don introduced a video clip of Walt recounting his experience working on Peter Pan. The account is taken from a transcription and, thus, Walt's voice is portrayed by a voice actor.

Video Clip 2: Walt Disney recalls working on Peter Pan.
    RealPlayer - 2 minutes, 17 seconds.
    Download: High Bandwidth (7.39 megs)

Eric spoke about the Rotoscoping process that is frequently used in animation. Rotoscoping is an old animation technique in which animators literally trace over live action reference footage to animate characters and objects.

He noted that rotoscoping is a very handy process but should be used more for occasional reference than for animating. Animated figures, after all, must have some artistic license to infuse character and style; something that simply tracing live action cannot achieve.

Don noted that there are various urban myths that Marilyn Monroe or other voluptuous people were the inspiration for Tinkerbell but they simply aren't true. The magic behind Tinkerbell is actually the (un-credited) body model: Margaret Kerry.

Margaret explained that she was at Fox at the time she got the call to audition for Tink. She didn�t know how to audition for an animated character much less a tiny three-inch one that didn�t speak! In preparation she got a 45-record and choreographed a pantomime of herself fixing a breakfast.

During the audition, she met Marc Davis who asked her to step on a big mirror to act out the classic scene in which Tinkerbell examines herself in the mirror only to be upset by her large hips.

"They wanted me for a role in which I did not speak," Margaret recounted, "but it's ironic because I never shut up!"

This article was originally published in forum thread: El Capitan - Peter Pan 2007 started by dlfreak View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
      Do you have any more pics of Tinker bell?
      Great coverage! Thank you.
      Quote Originally Posted by disney_lady View Post
      Do you have any more pics of Tinker bell?
      No That image of Tink in the update is a screencap from the video below it. I was filming the entire time she was out so I could not get photographs.
      great update!!! i was going to go, but i couldn't.
      great update. The Panel disscussion was amazing. And the ice cream was so good!
      BTW, if you looked at the update before now, you might not have downloaded Clip 6 because it was mislabeled as "TSquad" but its actually the TinkerBell pre-show. For your convenience, I've linked to it here:

http://www.mouseinfo.com/video/20070...n/elcpp0706.rm
      Thank you. Loved the video. Love the chance to see a live Tinker bell.
      Boo Boo? I hate Radio Disney.
      Oh yes. It was... funk-a-licious. Just watch the video.
      Lovin dlfreak
      Wish I could have been there to see it
      Thank you for the wonderful update!!
      It was my absolute pleasure!

Afterwards, we got to chat briefly with Mr. Sherman, Ms. Kerry, and Mrs. Beaumont. Each of them truly Disney legends in every sense of the word. Except for Mrs. Kerry, of course, who is not an OFFICIAL Disney Legend.

Regardless, talking to them is amazing. Their experiences and pasts working personally with Unky Walt and with the company, it's something any Disney nerd would tingle over.
      Excellent coverage.

It's always nice to hear stories and thoughts from those who worked on the early films.
      thank you so much for posting all of that, I really wanted to go but it was a school night, ugh... anyway, thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goin2Disneyland View Post
      Boo Boo? I hate Radio Disney.
      Oh my God, I know this Boo Boo. His family is very sweet. Good for him.
  • Recent Articles