• November 5, 2011 - Inside and In Depth at Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade Taping!

Disneyland Park was a flurry of activity today for the tapping of the ABC Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade. Nick Cannon returned as host to a parade that is perhaps the biggest it's ever been for Disneyland Resort segment of the show.

In addition to a selection of floats from A Christmas Fantasy Parade, nearly every single float from Mickey's Soundsational Parade was also included in the mix along with two special numbers; one featuring Phineas and Ferb's street party and the other featuring Disney Channel ANT Farm star China Anne McClain.

We start off with a look around the park at the signs and setup for the big event. Crews strategically placed throughout Main Street and in the hub prepare for all the filming to help make the event run smoothly.

Nick Cannon returned once again this year to host the event. Inbetween filming, veteran Disney emcee Russ Marchand helped to keep the crowds amped.

Adorable little girls dressed in PJs and armed with Mickey and Duffy plush led off the parade and were followed by toy soldiers.

The toy soldiers were then followed by a slew of Disney characters including the traditional toy soldier band as well as the Toy Factory unit of the Christmas Fantasy Parade.

Following the opening introduction, a choreographed number began with the youth toy soldiers and lead into the start of the parade. The familiar Toy Factory unit included Toy Story Pals as well as Pinocchio, Geppetto and Jiminey Cricket.

Once the initial Christmas elements had passed, Mickey's Soundsational Parade began. Virtually every unit from the parade was used. We started off with the lead float unit.

The next unit was the Three Caballeros segment which included more pinata girls than usual. Ole, Ole!

Princesses were next in the parade and we got to see Snow White, Rapunzel, and Aurora... each with their princes. Cinderella, Belle, and Ariel will be in Florida for this year's parade.

Lion king unit followed with a few extra monkeys and more stilt walkers.

Tons more dancers than usual joined Tanyada along with Naveen for the Princess and the Frog segment of the parade.

With Soundsational segments passed, we returned to the holiday themed floats of A Christmas Fantasy Parade.

Candy shop followed with tons of Gingerbread men and the crazy cooky bakers.

Seven Dwarves heading up the finale unit of the parade.

Your eyes do not deceive you, Santa's sleigh has no reindeer leading and there's not even anyone sitting in the sleigh. Through a bit of TV magic, Nick Cannon will appear in the sleigh in a bright red suit.

China Anne McClain from Disney Channel's ANT Farm had a special performance once the parade hand ended. Her number will be integrated into the middle of the parade.

The final performance was a fun one featuring a giant mob of little girls lead by the Phineas and Ferb Fireside Girls. Gitchy, Gitchy Goo!

THE END
    Comments 11 Comments
      DANG! I really wanted to take my daughter to this this year. Seems like I miss it every year. Hasn't it been closer to Thanksgiving weekend in the past? My daughter would have loved to have seen China Anne McLain. Do you know if there will be more taping tomorrow?
      Sounds like Christina Aguilera will be performing tomorrow but Disney has not officially confirmed anything, they normally never do.
      I read on mouse wait Cristina aguilera will be there, she's suppose to sing for the Xmas show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkingsocal View Post
      DANG! I really wanted to take my daughter to this this year. Seems like I miss it every year. Hasn't it been closer to Thanksgiving weekend in the past? My daughter would have loved to have seen China Anne McLain. Do you know if there will be more taping tomorrow?
      Thank you for the very nice photos. I was at last year's taping, and this one looked to be far more elaborate, even allowing for the inclusion of the Soundsational floats and all the extra performers. One thing I noticed in your pics was that the Snowflake Skaters with their new, if not temporary, uniforms and snowflake wings, were also wearing knee pads, which I don't recall from previous Christmas parades. Wondering if this is a permanent safety feature or just temporary because those fluttery-looking aluminum wings might be too unstable for actual parade use?
      Awesome coverage! I so want to be able to make it to this some year.
      Thanks for the kind words, guys! It was a lot of fun again this year. Tiring, but fun! Got to see Christina Aguilera today which was awesome but piccys and video were not allowed I'll have pics and video soon, however, of Nathan Pacheco and Katherine Jenkins singing O Holy Night.
      Quote Originally Posted by donald1k View Post
      Thank you for the very nice photos. I was at last year's taping, and this one looked to be far more elaborate, even allowing for the inclusion of the Soundsational floats and all the extra performers. One thing I noticed in your pics was that the Snowflake Skaters with their new, if not temporary, uniforms and snowflake wings, were also wearing knee pads, which I don't recall from previous Christmas parades. Wondering if this is a permanent safety feature or just temporary because those fluttery-looking aluminum wings might be too unstable for actual parade use?
      The kneepads are a permanent safety addition. They are not a result of the new snowflakes (which are a permanent change as well) but, rather, a recently implemented precaution from the safety team.
      oodelallypop, thanks for the info. The reflective aspect of the wings should be interesting during the nighttime parades. Question: are these new wings more or less of a problem during windy days than the old solid ones?
      donald4k - you're welcome! As for the wind... not sure yet. I think it will be a bit worse but we'll have to wait for a windy day to know for sure!
      Should be better all around, they bend with the wind versus the others which were resistant to the wind. It also makes it less likely for major damage if the snowflakes run into anything. In fact, during the Parade, one of the snowflakes accidentally turned right into me but it bent completely and didn't hurt. I don't know that it would have been the same result with last year's snowflakes!
      One more question on the new snowflakes (one of my favorite parts of the christmas parade): will there be no two exactly alike, just like the previous ones?
  • Recent Articles