+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    MouseInfo Team Member MI Lead Moderator Pinocchio85's Avatar
    Images

Have pins at DL gotten out of control?

The fiasco of Sunday's "I Was There" pin has really got me wondering if the whole pin thing at DL has spiraled out of control.

First of all, I had an awesome day and I refused to let the pin thing ruin my day. I thought that the whole day was very well planned and executed. It seemed like they had learned their lesson from May 5th: less media, more public viewing, jumbotrons, DCA line up, crowd control etc. But it seems the one thing they didn't fix was the long pin line.

5000 pins was not nearly enough. They could have easily sold thousands more. It doesn't make any business sense to only offer 5000 when they could have sold a lot more (thus they make more $). I'm not saying that they should do away with all limited edition pins, but it was a special day and the limited edition rules should have been thrown out the window. It seems like every time they release limited edition pins there are long lines and unhappy people.

They should have released the pin at stores all over the park to have many shorter lines rather than one ridiculously long line. Does Disney they not care that people are spending most of their day in line to get a pin? Do they not care that many people left disappointed that they didn't get the pin?

Don't even get me started on the prices of the pin on eBay!

I really think Disneyland needs to take a good look at their pin program and reevaluate it. Besides they could be making more money.

What do you guys think?

WHY IS MICKEY SO MEAN?? PinocchiosNose's Avatar
    Images
    I think it's a fun little thing. I just started collecting ones that are special to me this weekend. I don't plan on trading them. They are special to me. Yet I saw a whole corner of people trading by the Astro Blasters store, and it was like vultures. People had BOOKS UPON BOOKS UPON BOOKS of these things. I couldn't believe it. I am not judging, I collect things as well. It just seems like a never ending process. I don't see anyone collecting them all (which I'm sure is NOT the point). Obviously by the e-bay fiasco going on right now with the "I was there" pin, people just collect to turn and make a profit. That's one of the things that makes America unique I guess. We have money to burn and spend on pins and turn around and mark them up on average of 30 times their face value.
    "What you're steppin on is a marble foyer, that was cut out of none other than Space Mountain....very rare" - Dave Chapelle

Banned, possibly for life ocnative1964's Avatar
    Images
    if they produce too many, they wont be "collectible" as anyone can have one... the limited edition makes it better to have...

from what I saw on Ebay there was a VERY elaborate I was there pin and a cheap looking I was there pin... I assume the elaborate one is the one the LONG lines were for???

I also saw a few CM's selling CM released stuff, as well as maps etc... they must have grabbed a box on the way home???
    DCA 1/2 the park, Same low price....

*Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, **** a doodle doo...

MI
    FOOTBALL --- Cowboys&Indians

*Wiggles Lyrics banned by MIboards.com

HTH guest, 1939 MI Regular Member rcman2001's Avatar
    The prices are soo rediculous on ebay, but it only makes me want it more. I bought the July 17th guide map and mickey ears, and I am so temped to get the pin as an investment, but it costs so much to begin with it isnt even worth it. Believe me, just because I want it doesnt mean I dont think its crazy. I'm really not the collectible type. I dont have a single disneyland pin, and the guidemaps and mickey ears I got were because I realized how much money I could make off the stuff in the future, and because I was using my grandmother's ebay account. The only reason I want that pin at all is to make money off of it. There is a 0% i will ever get it though. I really want it so that I could make a proffit off of it, but I dont feel like spending the money.

I Am the Yetians MI Lead Moderator Goin2Disneyland's Avatar
    Images
    The elaborate pin said "I Was There" and was limited to 5000. The other pin was not limited (but only available on July 17) and was dated 1955 - 2005, with a small photo of Walt/Mickey/etc. It wasn't very attractive, and I didn't opt to buy it. I just got the LE, and it's gorgeous. I wouldn't sell it for anything (under seven figures, because if I didn't sell it for a million bucks that would make me an idiot).

The LONG line was full of nincompoops who didn't get it. If you can count, then you could figure out how many people in the line were going to get the pin. They handed out vouchers for the LE 5000 pin around 8:30am, freeing us to come back later in the day to purchase it. And yet, even long after the vouchers had been passed out, the line was 3-4 hours long until around 2pm when it finally began to die down. If you didn't have a voucher, you couldn't buy the LE pin. People didn't seem to understand that everything else on sale at the Festival Arena (besides the $50 Disney Dollar bill) was on sale at the Emporium, Star Trader, etc. If someone stood in line all day, it was their own fault.
    Jaleel White does not approve.
    Goin2Disneyland, Moderator to the Stars

Banned, possibly for life ocnative1964's Avatar
    Images
    if I wanted one of those pins I would wait awhile for the frenzy to die down... remember the beanie babies... thousand dolllars, now worth $10.00
    DCA 1/2 the park, Same low price....

*Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, **** a doodle doo...

MI
    FOOTBALL --- Cowboys&Indians

*Wiggles Lyrics banned by MIboards.com

I Am the Yetians MI Lead Moderator Goin2Disneyland's Avatar
    Images
    Don't I know it. I got a closet full of those little monsters. They're not worth the pellets they're stuffed with.
    Jaleel White does not approve.
    Goin2Disneyland, Moderator to the Stars

MouseInfo Team Member MI Lead Moderator Pinocchio85's Avatar
    Images
    Originally Posted by ocnative1964
    if they produce too many, they wont be "collectible" as anyone can have one... the limited edition makes it better to have...
    I don't think the pin has to be a limited edition to be collectible. I think because it was such a special day and if they had made it a larger edition, but still a "day of only" pin, it still would be special.

I think giving more opportunity to purchase the pin is more important than it being a collectible. Besides the hats and guidemaps are already collectibles and those were free.

Satan's Alley MI Regular Member bigglesworth003's Avatar
    Images
    I just bought one of the Maps, for $5.50, yet i saw other's going at 20 bucks! i just wanted the replica of the opening day one , That pin looks cool, but anyone paying what there at on ebay are mad! I mean it says 'i was there' as cool as it is i don't see the point in having it if you wern't there.
    This Weekend Tracy and i are going to double team Don Guise with our big ideas...

MouseInfo Charter Member MI Regular Member AStarOnMars's Avatar
    Images
    Most of my pins are old (60s) ... I bought maybe 4 pins within the past 4 years ... I do think the I was there pin should have been available for everyone who was at the park on the 17th ...

There are just so many pins out there it doesn't seem important to collect them ... how far is one going to go with their pin collection ... I just don't understand ... but then maybe that is why pins aren't my hobby

Thread Information