+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    MouseInfo Team Member MI Regular Member DLMAGICDARREN's Avatar
    This is an interesting topic, and we should probably take it to another forum to continue, but are you saying that the entire conversion of Bear Country to Critter Country was a bad one when Splash Mountain opened? That really was the very first cartoon themed attraction outside of Fantasyland (aside from Toontown)

I look at Splash as good as Pirates, and have no problem if it simply happens to be based on an actual film, over a concept that never made a film (wait it will make a film later this year)

I understand the similarity of cartoon, and fantasy, but aren't all attractions within Disneyland some fantasy?

I don't see a problem relating anything to a Disney cartoon, (or fictional story), if it fits the theme.

I mean DCA took a California farm, and made it into a Flick's Toontown, and you don't seem to have a problem there.
    Darren

AIM screen name DLMAGICDARREN
    MSN screen name DLMAGICDARREN

I would like to get to know more of you able to visit to WDW. If you haven't, sign up for the www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2882&perpage=25&pagenum ber=1

2,000 Plus Club Member MI Regular Member
    I'd say the problem started with Bear Country itself.

Everything done in the area including that and since has further degraded the idea of the frontier. Which used to be really cool (beleive it or not) and is now being turned into Fantasyland II.

Splash Mountain, while itself is an OK enough ride, is not appropriate to the area.

This is one of the big things that got the park off the ground origianlly, that things are not only entertaining in and of themselves, but that they fit appropriately into where they've been put.

"but aren't all attractions within Disneyland some fantasy"

There are different kinds of fantasy, based on different things. And not all things in the park were based on fantasy. Some things were based on history, some based on adventure, some on projections of what may come in the future. There is a lot of room for entertainment in these areas, and they don't always have to go back to a cartoon to create their attractions from.

In fact, there was an area in the park specifically devoted to creating attractions from cartoons, and that was Fantasyland. Other areas in the park were put there to create different types of subject matter for entertainment.

My guess as to why this was done originally was because the park was first built by movie people who had talents for telling different kinds of stories. Studios don't just make one kind of film. They can make westerns, sci fi, adventures, etc. And the park had the idea of that kind of thing, where each area had a pre-built jumping off point for what types of attractions would go there.

On top of that, any attraction that went into an area was built to look appropriate for its surroundings. You didn't have a Big Thunder type of ride looking out of place with everything around it, and you didn't have a Splash Mountain doing the same.

"you don't seem to have a problem there."

I don't mind them ditching the farm if it were not popular, but I think for the thing to be BEST themed would be for them to put a connection between the studio area and the farm area that was represented by a Pixar pavilion. That way, you'd have at least a segway between the park's theme and the theme of Bug's Land.

As it stands now, it's a very tenuous link. But it's been there since the park opened, so when people say that it's an erosion of the theme of the park, I tend to reply that it was there from day one.

What it is, in fact, is the same sort of thing that has happened at the Indian Village. Originally, you could almost make a case for ITTBAB being in the farm area, as bugs are a big thing with farming. But they stepped away from that, and now made it chiefly a bugsland area that has nearly nothing to do with the theme.

Another thing I mention often is that when people complain about how DCA is losing its theme bla bla, I point out that it is not just in DCA, but in all the parks. They have gone from the concept where a single park can have multiple themes to where you have multiple parks with a single theme.

It really wrecks what made the parks so interesting and unique in the first place.
    You may contact me via jonvn@nadelberg.com.

Jon, I'm going to open a new thread, so as to not get this one off topic, but I'd like to continue this. Your views are intresting.
    Darren

I would like to get to know more of you able to visit to WDW. If you haven't, sign up for the www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2882&perpage=25&pagenum ber=1

Images
    I think a lot ppl have a prob w/ FFF going into DCA.

In my opinion, we are seing a draw away from classical, original attractions and a road towards Disney Animation attractions.

Think about it:
    Country Bears to Pooh
    Swiss Family to Tarzan
    SSL to Monsters
    Bountiful Farm to FFF
    Blast! to Aladdin
    Rumored: Space to Stitch

You get the idea.

I realize that Disneyland was intended to be a park where guests could experience the different animated worlds, but I think many of us have appreciated the original attractions that didn't come out of cartoons.

I suppose this should be a new topic: Should Disneyland naturally move to its original intent and become a park where guests can experience the different worlds of animated features?
    Refurb Mike

Former MI Addict MI Regular Member Santa Monica's Avatar
    Images
    Originally posted by JRob2k1
    There is no smoke ring (Thats in Tokyo),
    Uh, Master...?

I'd just like to say that I remember the smoke ring in the MK Pooh. It came out of the heffelump with the match over its head (lighting the fuse)[I think]. But I know it was there because I stuck my hand through it.

But I agree. C ticket. Not E. Enjoy.
    Just here. Nowhere.

Here's where we can continue our discussion that got off topic, so let's keep this topic back to the new attraction Pooh.

http://www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/s...&threadid=7178
    Darren

Images
    Originally posted by Santa Monica
    Uh, Master...?

I'd just like to say that I remember the smoke ring in the MK Pooh. It came out of the heffelump with the match over its head (lighting the fuse)[I think]. But I know it was there because I stuck my hand through it.

But I agree. C ticket. Not E. Enjoy.
    Touche'

Eh, I didnt make it over to MK as much!

-JRob
    Yeti swipe!

Hot Ninja MI Regular Member ZeekSlider's Avatar
    Images
    After seeing pictures and videos from DLR, WDW, and TDL's verions.....

I think I like the TDL one better. It is said that you don't get the same ride twice because the hunney pots use the same driving program as Aquatopia in that they need no track to move, but yet they move independent of each other.

For example, from what I read in the opening scene in the Wood, there is a fork in the room and the cars each go their different ways. Some go left, others go right. The path is shaped like an 8, and as a result, some cars stay on the left or right side, while others cross over.

Also, the AAs look better. I think if I remember the vid I watched of the TDL one, the AAs look like the Book of Pooh puppets and move just as fast.

*shurgs* I don't know. All I know is that I miss the 5 Bear Rugs now

Former MI Addict MI Regular Member Santa Monica's Avatar
    Images
    Originally posted by ZeekSlider
    After seeing pictures and videos from DLR, WDW, and TDL's verions.....

I think I like the TDL one better. It is said that you don't get the same ride twice because the hunney pots use the same driving program as Aquatopia in that they need no track to move, but yet they move independent of each other.

For example, from what I read in the opening scene in the Wood, there is a fork in the room and the cars each go their different ways. Some go left, others go right. The path is shaped like an 8, and as a result, some cars stay on the left or right side, while others cross over.

Also, the AAs look better. I think if I remember the vid I watched of the TDL one, the AAs look like the Book of Pooh puppets and move just as fast.

*shurgs* I don't know. All I know is that I miss the 5 Bear Rugs now
    Was that last post sarcastic? I think it's pretty obvious that TDL's Pooh reigns supreme.
    Just here. Nowhere.

Hot Ninja MI Regular Member ZeekSlider's Avatar
    Images
    Acutally, no you can normally tell when I'm sarcastic or not because I allways include the rolleyes emoticon.

Thread Information