+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MouseInfo Participant MI Regular Member

Disneyland Show Control?

A member of my site sent me this photo labeled Disneyland Show Control can anyone confirm that this is really Show Control. There is possible confusion if this is at Disneyland Paris or here in CA...

Thanks for your help

--Richard
    http://www.DLDHistory.com
    The Most Unique Disneyland History Site
    Last edited by 1FoolishMortal; 10-26-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Link removed because of backstage photo

I Am the Yetians MI Lead Moderator Goin2Disneyland's Avatar
    Images
    The link no worky.
    Jaleel White does not approve.
    Goin2Disneyland, Moderator to the Stars

Fixed Link

Fixed Sorry about that...

Don't tread on me! Lacrosse Boy's Avatar
    Images
    Hmm, interesting. Is this supposedly a centrally-located facility to control all the attractions?

I'm just curious, because I don't recall any talk about centrally-located control facilities other than the one at EPCOT.
    "I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification."

MouseInfo Preferred Member Simba's Avatar
    Would you happen to have a larger version of that picture? There are a couple of screens on the right that show the park(s), and that might answer the question if we can positively ID the park on the monitor.

MouseInfo Regular MI Regular Member SparkyLD's Avatar
    Thats Paris. I have a image from One Lightbulb to Another showing that same room. And thats Parade Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrosse Boy View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Is this supposedly a centrally-located facility to control all the attractions?

I'm just curious, because I don't recall any talk about centrally-located control facilities other than the one at EPCOT.
    And Disneyland and DCA have DECS and there is DACS at Magic Kingdom. DACS controls attracions as well as show controls. DECS is just DCAs and DLs entertainment controls.

DECS= Disney Entertainment Control System
    DACS= Digital Automation Control System

The one at EPCOT is Engineering Central.

DECS runs the parade from the aforementioned control room known as Audio Central. From there, DECS sends DMX signals to seven racks of ETC dimmers located in seven RICs (remote interface cabinets) along the parade route. In fact there are seven dedicated universes of DMX controlled directly by DECS, and an additional 16 shared universes of DMX that can be controlled via an interface with ETC's parkwide lighting control system. The system also includes 24 Fleenor 125EE opto-splitters and four Fiber Options RS-485 multimode transceivers.

From an article:

“In 1980, we put in the first parade control computer for Disneyland,” says Don Dorsey, of Dorsey Productions, Inc., who has been providing audio and show design consulting to Disney's parks for over 26 years. In 1975, Dorsey began coordinating the audio portion of the Disneyland parades, albeit in a rather rudimentary manner. “I stood on rooftops with a stopwatch calling the parade,” he recalls, noting that there were seven parade zones in those days.

“When we added a computer in 1980,” he continues, “we upgraded the number of zones to 21 and placed RF antennas along the parade route to help us keep track of where the floats were. Even then we knew we had the beginnings of a great system. Ever since, I have been keeping a list of improvements we wanted to make in the parade audio handling to be able to make better location-based decisions and better musical decisions, while adding more show value to the parades. In the late 80s, we realized those dreams with the first version of DECS, and we have been adding features ever since.”

The opening of California Adventure and the birth of the Eureka! Parade gave Dorsey the chance to implement a newly enhanced version of DECS. “Gina wireless modems atop the light poles allow us to maintain a real-time dialogue with the moving floats, and to keep the onboard [Alcorn McBride] digital bin loops synchronized with the wayside playback system,” he notes.

The audio control is part of the overall show control run from Audio Central. For Dorsey, the enhanced DECS means that the technicians running the parade can “send out instructions to tell the floats what to do with their onboard audio, lighting, and animation. At the same time, they are reporting back to us with information as to their exact location. The DECS computer helps the floats make intelligent decisions based on conditional cues, telling them if they are here to do this, or if they are there to do that,” he explains. “You can also tell them all to stop and when to start up again.”

At California Adventure, DECS divides the parade route into 33 different zones. The audio, like the lighting, treats each zone as a separate stage. “People look at what is in front of them,” Dorsey adds. In essence, this parade is the equivalent of having 33 shows run at the same time. “DECS was invented to technical-direct and stage-manage the 33 stages at the same time and take proper actions,” he says. “The software allows us to write a single script for the master show design, and then DECS uses a series of algorithms to determine what each individual show zone needs.”

This technology represents a major advance in parade show control. Back in 1980, if Dorsey wanted to change something, he had to go into each of the 20 zones and change every individual cue line manually, a task that took hours. In 2001, DECS uses an “interpretation” feature, which allows a change to be written into one zone and immediately “expanded” to all 33 zones. “You can now rewrite the entire script in the amount of time it takes the parade to turn around,” Dorsey notes. “We finally have a system with the capability to control complicated parades and respond quickly to change requests from the creative team.”

Audio Central is the control room for the parade as well as parkwide background music for California Adventure. The Alcorn McBride bin loops for the wayside audio zones live here, as well as three racks containing 19 Level Control Systems MatrixLX-300 audio engines. The information from the bin loops is fed to the LCS matrix units, then to QSC Rave units for distribution to 197 Crown MA2402 amps.

Thank you SparkyLD that was kinda what i was afraid of

--Richard

DECS at DL is located above the opera house and the bank. DECS at DCA is behind Golden Dreams, more specifically, directly behind brother bear show. Its going to be temp moved while Mermaid is being built then will be put back in under the show building along with Parade offices, and Trail offices.

Images
    Didn't WDW, and in particular Epcot, decentralize show systems around 94-96?

Computer Central was dismantled, major processes are controlled at the individual pavilions, and Engineering Central only controls whole-park functions like parades/music/lights?

History-o-Central at Epcot: (with pics!)

http://www.energy.planet7.org/compan...ch_central.htm

And if you have lots of time, rent the movie DARYL - the computer lab is actually Epcot Central.

Thread Information