+ Reply to Thread
    2,000 Plus Club Member MI Regular Member ismael flores's Avatar
    Images

New Disney park according to papers?

So my brother just returned from Panama from a business trip. They are developing some hotels and entertainment complex area not too far from the Panama Canal.

First thing he told me was if i heard the news about a possible new theme park in South America.

Supposedly his company is involved in developing some property in South America where a large plot of land is being considered for a South American theme park built by Disney.

Obviously i laughed and told him that everyone in the world occasionally wishes to have a Disney park and that i doubt any of it was true. I told him that they are probably using that idea to raise land value.

So he pulled out a newpaper and as i was going thru it i found an article on it. I decided to look in the inetrnet and guess what i found

http://www.livinginperu.com/news-867...a-park-in-peru.

Walt Disney Co. might open a park in Peru.

LivingInPeru.com
    Isabel Guerra

Walt Disney corporation might be planning to build a Disneyland-like thematic park on Southern Lima, near the beaches of Asia (Cañete), as reported by El Comercio.

Asia beaches (about 1 hour drive from Lima) already have a big exclusive shopping mall with bars, discos and boutiques.

Reportedly, Disney executives would arrive in Lima this week to take a look at the 600,000 sqm plot of land (located at Km. 100 of Panamericana Sur road) and to make an offer to the owners.

Were this to happen, this would be the third Disney theme park outside the US, in addition to the ones at Paris and Tokio.

Only three days ago Walt Disney Co. had announced that will lay off 1,900 employees from their US parks, that is, 11% of the payroll workers.

According to El Comercio, Disney had tried to buy the Parque de las Leyendas (the biggest zoo in Lima) last January, but that was not possible because of opposition from Peru’s National Institute of Culture, who alleged that the area contains archeological remains that need to be studied and preserved.

(El Comercio – RPP - El Espectador)

Have other topics you'd like to see in our news section? If you or someone you know would like to contribute a news article to Living in Peru, whether it's translated or based on a personal investigation, send it to editor@livinginperu.com.

So how many countries wish they had a Disney theme park now? If any of this was true would this be one of those Jay Rasulo projects? what do you guys think? I thought it owuld be fun talking about it.

some of the comments on the link are interesting.

This might be a fun thread to post any articles we find from around the world of rumors regarding countries claiming they will be the next Disney home land

Vamos Mexico! MI Regular Member Sir_Cliff's Avatar
    Images
    I´m pretty sure we´ve had rumours through the years of Disney considering building a theme park in Australia. Apparently they were looking at the state of Queensland, but they lost out to Hong Kong.

I don´t think poor old Peru will be getting a park any time soon unfortunately!

MouseInfo Charter Member MI Regular Member Disney Vault's Avatar
    Images
    Bull SH%! sorry but no way. Per capita spending is too low and the locals cant even get a simple press release right.
    Formerly DBFan117

Nametag Freak! MI Regular Member Sosai X's Avatar
    This has to be the oddest rumor so far. It makes no sense at all.
    Visit the Disney Cast Member Nametag Museum!

Vamos Mexico! MI Regular Member Sir_Cliff's Avatar
    Images
    On the surface it may make sense locally as Peru has had the strongest and most consistant economic growth of all South American countries in recent years, receives a healthy amount of tourism and Lima is a big city of around 8 million people. So on some level I can see why people may think Disney would consider a park in Peru. Behind those numbers, though, you have a far too uneven distribution of wealth, far too much potential for political and social instability and far too poor infrastructure for Disney to consider such an idea seriously. As much as I do love Lima, I can´t begin to imagine a Disneyland amongst all that chaos.

I think Ismael´s idea in posting this, though, was to go through all the rumours that have popped up around the world of Disney looking at building a local theme park. It does seem as though these rumours appear in virtually every country from time to time.

2,000 Plus Club Member MI Regular Member ismael flores's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    I think Ismael´s idea in posting this, though, was to go through all the rumours that have popped up around the world of Disney looking at building a local theme park. It does seem as though these rumours appear in virtually every country from time to time.
    Yes this is why i posted it, i just thought it would be fun to see how many stories pop-up from actual news media about a new Disney park being built. See how many years it take before the whole world somehow sometime was getting a Disney park.

Images
    Here's a direct quote from a TDA executive I once spoke to when the Australian theme park hit the news...

"Don't read too much into it , Disney is always looking at land all over the world".
    Just because we're at war, doesn't mean we can't be civilised...

Images
    That's ture. America's not the new super power of the world: Disney is.
    "Take What You Can, Give Nothin' Back!"- Captain Jack Sparrow

I'm now on twitter! Follow me @pirateguy815.

Thread Information