Soarin' Over California
|Location:||Golden State - Condor Flats District.|
|Ride Type:||Flight simulator in an IMAX-type theater.|
|Height Req.:||40" (102 cm) or taller.|
|Avg. Wait*:||30-45 minutes.|
|Ride Length:||4 minutes and 45 seconds .|
|Show Capacity:||87 people per trip. Nine gliders seat 9 or 10 people each.|
|Operating Hours:||Park opening to park closing.|
|*Wait times my vary widely on a number of factors including crowd levels, showtimes, and hour of the day.|
- Utilize FastPass for a shorter wait.
- The Air Force Thunderbirds that fly by over the Anza Borrego State Park are very loud and might upset those with sensitive hearing.
- Although the ride is presented on a screen that offers good views from all seats, the middle sections of rows A and B offer the best views.
- This attraction opened February 8, 2001. It’s an opening day original!
- This attraction later opened at EPCOT in Walt Disney World on May 5, 2005. The name was shortened to simply “Soarin’.”
- The film was directed by Rick Rothschild and shot with 70-mm film at 48 frames per second—double the industry standard used in regular motion pictures films. The musical score was composed by Jerry Goldsmith (Poltergeist, Alien, Rambo: First Blood, and various Star Trek films including the original from 1979.)
- Actor Patrick Warburton narrates the safety spiel at the beginning. Warburton is a perennial Disney favorite with a distinctive deep voice that can be heard as Kronk in the Emperor's New Groove, Buzz Lightyear in the television program, and Joe Swanson in Family Guy among many other roles.
- The dome-shaped screen in this attraction is 80 feet long.
- You may store your belongings in a compartment just below your seat.
- You soar over the following locations during the ride: The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, waterways of Redwood Creek, vineyards of Napa Valley, the rugged coastline of Point Loma, Yosemite National Park, orange groves in Camarillo, rugged dessert of Anza Borrego State Park in Mojave, the Coronado Naval Yards in San Diego (right over the USS Stennis), the beach waters of Malibu, freeways over Downtown Los Angeles, and concluding over Disneyland Park.
- Keep a nose out for special scents in this attraction such as pine, oranges, and ocean mist.
- A special parade was staged for the concluding shot over Disneyland Park. Look closely and you’ll notice that it’s a Christmas parade. You’ll even see the giant Christmas tree in Main Street’s Town Square.
Safety and Accessibility
- Safety Considerations: Young children should be accompanied by an adult. Those with a fear of heights may prefer to skip this attraction.
- Wheelchair Accessible: No. Guests must be able to transfer from wheelchair or ECV to experience this attraction.
- Hearing Disability Services: No.
- Visual Disability Services: No.
- Service Animals: Not allowed.
See Template:Youtube for placing videos on MouseInfo.
See Template:Gallery for placing images on MouseInfo.
Should be written in a more editorial style and cover history and technical details about the attraction.
MI Community Contributions
- Find Related Discussions
- Visit the MI Boards to ask questions or just chat about Soarin' Over California.
- Find Related Photos
- Visit the MI Galleries for more photos of Soarin' Over California.