DETAILS: First-ever Mickey Mouse ride coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios confirmed at #D23Expo
There’s no question that there’s big plans in store for Disney’s Hollywood Studios and while big master plan has yet to be released, new details were revealed at the D23 Expo for an upcoming Mickey Mouse attraction that will be replacing The Great Movie Ride: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
The first-ever Mickey-themed ride-through attraction will aim to continue Disney’s goal of delivering cutting edge of deeply immersive, creative storytelling that draws guests into new worlds. With a new original story and lovable attraction theme song, this new state-of-the-art ride-through attraction will take guests on a journey inside the wacky and unpredictable world of Disney Channel’s Emmy Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts using new technologies that transform the flat cartoon world into an incredible dimensional experience.
It was difficult to appreciate just what exactly was going on in the attraction mock-up showed by Kevin Rafferty, Executive Creative Director, Walt Disney Imagineering but it should prove to be a technologically impressive experience. Since this attraction will feature NO 3D-glasses, it should be interesting how Disney is able to achieve a wow-factor from the seemingly largely screen-reliant attraction. It boasts what they are nicknaming as 2.5 D visuals.
Here’s a few more details we learned about Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway:
- Based on the style of new Mickey Mouse shorts
- Mickey Shorts crew are working on this project for consistency. Art Director Joseph Holt, Composer Chris Willis, and Executive Producer / Supervising Director Paul Ruddish.
- You are the star of your own fish out of water story in a Mickey Mouse Cartoon Short.
- The attraction starts with a new short with Mickey and Minnie on a picnic. They encounter Goofy and a special moment will bring guests into mix.
- Will feature 2.5 D visuals, no 3D glasses required
- New original singable theme song and custom score
- More Hidden Mickeys to be included than any other attraction ever
- The attraction replaces the Great Movie Ride which closes August 13, 2017. Disney is adjusting AP blockouts to allow guests a final chance for a ride.
When Goofy is the engineer, what could go wrong?
More to See!
We were at the D23 Expo 2017 the entire weekend with plenty to see! Check it all out by clicking below!