STEP INSIDE: New ‘Mickey: The True Original Exhibition’ opens in New York City
In celebration of the upcoming 90th anniversary of Mickey Mouse, New York City’s Meatpacking District welcomed the new Mickey: The True Original Exhibition! The 16,000 square-foot immersive pop-up features artwork, photo-ops and historical memorabilia on display to celebrate the little guy who first made his big screen debut in “Steamboat Willie” on November 18, 1928 at the Colony Theatre!
- Hello Mickey!- Introduces the many facets of Mickey including his playful personality. Featured artists: Katherine Bernhardt, Ariana Papademetropoulos, and Michael Bosanko.
- Iconic Design- Shows Mickey, an instantly recognizable character and form, in a whole new way. Featured artist: Daniel Arsham
- It’s Black & White- An entirely black-and-white world bringing Mickey’s comic strips and cartoon shorts to life. Featured artist: Brian Roettinger
- Ink & Paint- Pays homage to the team of artists and painters in Disney’s legendary Ink & Paint department including photos from the book “Ink & Paint: The Women of Walt Disney’s Animation”
- Burst into Color- A vivid, vibrant color room in honor of Mickey’s acclaimed technicolor debut, The Band Concert. Featured artists: London Kaye, Michael John Kelly, Amanda Ross-Ho and Disney artists Stacey Aoyama and John Quinn
- Sorcerer’s Way- Transports guests to the magical world of Walt Disney’s masterpiece and Mickey’s first feature film: Fantasia. Featured artist: Oliver Clegg
- Mickey Mouse Club- Celebrates the 60+ year legacy of the Mickey Mouse Club television series. Featured artist: Brian Bress
- Original Muse- Showcases how Mickey has inspired artists around the world to create, reinterpret, and reimagine. Featured artists: Keith Haring, Tseng Kwong Chi, James Jean, Keiichi Tanaami, Tanya Aguiniga, PEACEMINUSONE, Javier Sanchez Medina, Tetsuya Nomura, and Oliver Payne.
- The Collection- Illustrates how tactile, functional works of art brings Mickey into fans’ everyday lives. Featured artists: Darren Romanelli aka DRx and Shinique Smith.
- Kenny Scharf’s Mickey Mouse-inspired cosmic cavern will also be on display and open to the public in Mickey’s Maker Shop. Exhibition tickets are not required for entry.
- Commemorative Merchandise at Mickey’s Maker Shop- Within the experience, ‘Mickey’s Maker Shop’ is a retail store offering exhibition-branded merchandise, select pieces from 90th anniversary ‘True Original’ Mickey Mouse capsule collections and custom products that can be personalized on-site. Fans can also shop limited-edition merchandise through timed product drops throughout the exhibition run. The shop is open to the public; exhibition tickets are not required for entry. Select exhibtion and Mickey 90th merchandise can also be purchased on shopDisney.
- Exhibition Sponsors Create Branded Activations- Exhibition sponsors have created interactive activations that engage guests of all ages. With the help of Google Home, attendees can join in a special game show with Mickey Mouse and his friends. Following the announce of Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones – Mickey Mouse’s 90th Anniversary Edition, Beats will continue to celebrate Mickey and his influence on music with listening stations and a photo gallery in the Exhibition lounge. Finally, Brooklyn-based and family-owned ice cream maker Ample Hills Creamery will share complimentary scoops of birthday cake ice cream from their Disney Mickey Mouse Collection.
See it for Yourself
Mickey: The True Original Exhibition runs now through February 10, 2019.